Therapeutic Exercise Foundations and Technique by Kisner and Colby
Therapeutic Exercise Foundations and Techniques by Kisner and Colby
This text focuses on all basic therapeutic exercises used for the treatment of musculoskeletal and cardiopulmonary disorders. It covers isokinetics, soft tissue injury repair, surgical procedures, exercise rehabilitation, post-operative management and posture.
College of Mount St. Joseph, Cincinnati, OH. Popular textbook provides current guidelines and rationales for choosing and following appropriate exercise interventions. Includes a new chapter on aquatics, added content on proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation, and updated data on nerve tension symptoms. Previous edition: c1996. Wire-spiral binding.
This well-known text has been thoroughly revised and updated. The content continues to focus on basic therapeutic exercises for musculoskeletal and cardiopulmonary disorders in an easily accessible format.
* Entirely revised to reflect the terminology of the APTA's Guide to Physical Therapist Practice
* Uses disablement model language
* Emphasis on functional outcomes
* Specific content on patient management and patient teaching
* Chapter 1, Therapeutic Exercise: Foundational Concepts, includes an overview of the disablement model as it relates to therapeutic exercise, components of patient management in physical therapy consistent with Guide to Physical Therapist Practice, 2nd edition, and an overview of principles of motor learning as related to therapeutic exercise and exercise instruction
* Each chapter concludes with critical thinking discussion points, laboratory practice activities, and case studies
* New material includes a chapter on aquatics, nerve tension symptoms and treatment, and mobilization with movement
* Chapter 3, Resistance Exercise, includes an overview of proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation (PFN) as it relates to resistance exercise in diagonal patterns and stabilization exercises
* Chapter 18, Management of Vascular Disorders of the Extremities, now includes exercises and illustrations on the management of lymphedema
* Focuses on all basic therapeutic exercises used for the treatment of musculoskeletal and cardiopulmonary disorders
* Covers isokinetics, soft tissue injury repair, surgical procedures, exercise rehabilitation, postoperative management, and posture
* Describes functional exercises and exercises that improve functional activities, including closed chain, plyometric, and stabilization exercises
* Identifies functional limitations/disabilities as well as structural problems for each diagnosis
* Provides guidelines and rationales for choosing and following appropriate exercise procedures
Therapist Recommends: Required reading for CSMTA certification.